Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The day after the 4th of July

Got up at 5:00 am and went up to the garden. Wow everything is growing like crazy. Picked about 3 bushels of pink eyed peas, a few dozen ears of corn most of the corn is not quiet ready yet, pick a couple gallons of cucumbers, a dozen tomatoes, a gallon of squash, some peppers. By then it was 8:00 oclock and getting pretty hot. I had a drink of water and watched the newn for about ten minutes, then decided to cut some grass for my friend Jeff who owns the land. I got the riding mower started and it has a 4 foot wide cutting area. Everything was going great for about 2 hours then I ran across some nylon rope that someone had thrown in the old drive way and it got wound around the cutting blakes real bad I mean real bad. I didn't quiet know what to do since it is a big mower. So I looked aroung in the building next to the garden and found some things that you drive a cars front wheels onto to get under the car and ran the front wheels of the mower on those and got it about 4 or 5 inches off the ground. This is when the fun began. One of the hardest things for me to do is to get up and down because of my very bad back and hips. I found a bunch of cloth in my truch to cushion the cement. When I looked under the mower I thought I will probably never get this stuff loose. I can't use my left arm for anything heavy and can't lay on that side on hard surfaces so I layed on my right side on the rags and cut alittle or the rope off of one of the blades finally. The other one was a different thing it had this rope really wrapped tight and I didn't have much room to work with and having to do most everything with my right hand. Now laying on my right side and with my left hand put the knife in my right hand and began to saw back and forth til I got the blade dull then opened another blade and got it dull too. I would saw for a couple minutes and stop and relax my arm for a couple minutes and when some of the rope began to tear loose I would have to get up which was a job in its self and go to the other side and do the same thing. This went on for an hour and it was hot because this was about 11:30 am. I had not made much progress so while I was in one of my resting positions I told God that I had to have His help and to give me some idea how to unstick this because my knife was too dull to do anymore good. I thought I will walk to my car and see what I can find. Well all I found was a lug wrench and that was too thick to do anything with then I happened to see the knife that I had brougnt to work up the corn with and it was kind of like a saw and a knife all in one. So I started sawing with it changing sides of the mower every little bit and finally I said Lord I am finished you'll have to finish up if it gets done so about that time the last little pieces of rope fell off. I thanked Him for His help and it was about 12:00 noown by now so I finished what little grass that was left to cut.

When I tried to get out of bed this morning was a terrible struggle but I made it thru the day working for Lela making curtains then came home and took a nap and shelled peas. God is good all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment